The latest Business France international investments report highlights the excellent results of the Atlantic France region. 82 international investment projects were welcomed in 2021, and more than 2,300 jobs were created or maintained. A growth which is rising exponentially year after year, despite the financial crisis.
Last year, 1,607 international investment projects in France were confirmed. A strong increase which can also be observed in our region: Atlantic France welcomed 82 international investment projects in 2021. This represents an increase of 30% compared with the 2020 results which were already very good!
The key figures of the 2021 international investments in Atlantic France
- In 2021, our region was home to 82 international investment projects (+30% compared with 2020), meaning that 2,306 jobs were created or maintained (+4.72%). An all-time record.
- 35 projects out of 82 were new businesses set up in Atlantic France, and 43 were investments made by internationally-owned companies that were already established in Atlantic France.
- International investments were made in the 5 departments of the Atlantic France region. The Nantes and Saint-Nazaire one (Loire-Atlantique) is home to 39% of the projects and the department of Angers (Maine-et-Loire) to 26%.
- Germany and the United States remain the top international investors in Atlantic France (18% of the projects), followed by Italy, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden and the UK. It can also be noted that Canadian companies represent 20% of the jobs created or maintained, in third place after Germany (22%) and the United States (21%).
- Production and realisation is the top activity, representing 38% of the investments and 42% of the jobs created or maintained, followed by decision centres, points of sale and business services which account for 22% of jobs created or maintained.
- The 3 top investing sectors are Trade and distribution (18% of the projects) Consulting, engineering and business operational services (12%) and Machinery and mechanical equipment (12%).
A dynamic and welcoming French region for businesses
In recent years, Atlantic France has welcomed an increasing number of international investments. This is a result of its strong attractiveness and the in-depth work carried out by our economic development agency, Solutions&co, which provides international companies with free & confidential dedicated support.
The economic dynamism of our region is an undeniable asset for international investors. By setting up in Atlantic France, they find an ecosystem conducive to the development of their activity, an easier welcome for their installation and personalised support.Christelle Morançais, President of the Atlantic France Region
Last year, Solutions&co organised 242 B2B meetings with international investors and sent 106 personalised studies to potential investors. 37 investment projects out of 82 were thus generated by direct prospecting (outside the Business France network).
Solutions&co, being a regional gateway for Business France and leader of the Atlantic France collective, works to explore foreign markets and bring together players who are mobilised for international attractiveness. It is a long-term job to fully understand the needs of investors according to their sector of activity, their culture, and thus, to succeed in formulating the most appropriate response and solutions. The competition is fierce; economic attractiveness, responsiveness and tailor-made solutions are, from our point of view, the essential ingredients to stay in the competition.Éric Grelier, Vice-President of the Atlantic France Region and President of Solutions&co
5 major international investments we have supported in 2021
Here is a selection of 5 meaningful projects led by internationally-owned companies that Solutions&co supported last year:
🇨🇦 ManiKHeir: a factory to manufacture nitrile gloves
ManiKHeir is a new subsidiary of the Kolmi-Hopen Group, which is part of the Canadian group Medicom. More than €55 million has been invested in Sarthe to set up an automated factory dedicated to the manufacturing of nitrile gloves. The project plans include the creation of 150 jobs within the first year and more than 300 overall.
🇺🇸 Full Speed Automation: industrial automation software
The startup created in 2020 in Silicon Valley set up its European headquarters in Angers, Atlantic France. The company develops a ‘‘no-code” platform to facilitate the automation of industrial processes and raised $3.2 million in March 2021. The project aims to create 40 jobs over 3 years.
🇬🇧 The Acoustics Company: architectural acoustics solutions
Faced with the business consequences that came with Brexit and the Covid-19 pandemic, the British company, which originated in 1980, decided to create a manufacturing and distribution facility in Atlantic France. The Acoustics Company has invested €1.1 million in Sarthe and 10 jobs are being created.
🇨🇭 Tetra Pak: global leader in eco-friendly packaging
The Swiss group Tetra Pak International SA is investing €100 million in Châteaubriant, Atlantic France, to expand its production. 10 new production lines will be created, in particular to manufacture tethered caps, and 30 jobs will be created in 2022.
🇩🇪 Claas: a cutting-edge tractor factory
The family-owned German company Claas is one of the world leaders in agricultural equipment. The group has invested €40 million to transform its plant in Le Mans, Atlantic France, into an industry 4.0 factory, combining technologies such as robotics, IoT and virtual reality. The project has allowed 69 jobs to be created.
Thinking of making the move in France?
Contact our business location experts to discuss your project, and benefit from free and confidential advice.